In the course of troubleshooting the office Jabber server the other day, I came across some interesting info about the various caches that Openfire has. If you log on to the admin console of your Openfire server and go to the cache summary page, you can see what the usage and effectiveness of your various caches are. Specifically, I found that a couple caches were full - Roster and VCard. The Roster cache was limited to 0.50MB by default it seemed and it's effectiveness was less than 20% at the time.
It is a fairly common issue and it has been discussed in the Ignite Realtime forums. The solution posted is to set a couple system properties to override the default:
Both of these are given in bytes. The post in that thread says to go to 5MB, I found that my Vcard cache didn't need to be much bigger than the default and the roster cache only needed 2 or 3 MB.
After changing this, both cache hit rates are closer to 90%.
Our system is very small (less than a couple hundred users total), so the effect is not big on regular usage. But well worth checking on your server as it is a quick and easy optimization.
Friday, 13 May 2011
Cache in Openfire
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
For anyone who's had to cleanup some mail problems with Postfix configuration (or more often with other things, like anti-spam, tied in ...
In the course of troubleshooting the office Jabber server the other day, I came across some interesting info about the various caches that O...
For everyone who uses cron, you are familiar with the job schedule form: min hr day-of-month month day-of-week <command> A problem...
Roster cache hits are up to 97.5% since increasing the cache size. vCard "only" 85%.ReplyDelete