The previous post was about my experience dabbling with greylisting but what I really rely on for mail filtering is Amavis, SpamAssassin, ClamAV, and Procmail. Each tool has it's place and does it's job quite well. Except Procmail, but that's just a backwards old mail processing/delivery agent that using syntax far too arcane for mere mortals... But that's just my griping for no good reason, it does the job.
Anyhow, the setup here is that Postfix hands all messages to Amavis for inspection. Amavis can run a message through any number of spam or virus checking programs, SpamAssassin and ClamAV in our case, and any of these programs can approve a message, mark it in some way, move it to a quarantine or reject it flat-out. Basically, Amavis is a front-end for these types of filtering applications. It's very versatile, postfix works well with it, so it works.
The simple one is ClamAV. It runs a message through its virus definitions. If it finds a match, it quarantines the message and then sends a notice to the user saying what happened. Easy. ClamAV actually picks up much of the Phishing scams. It works great.
The other fun one is SpamAssassin (SA) which reads through a message and assigns it a score depending on many factors like whether the message headers appear corrupt. Low score means probably not spam, high score means probably spam. If it's a high score, SA can modify the message or discard it. The levels at which it takes "evasive action" are configurable so this has taken some tuning before I was really happy with the results.
So the setup here is that SA actually modifies all messages adding a X-Spam-Score: nn header to all messages. This way, I can see that the last message I got from my roommate was scored -3.787, for example.
At a score of 4.0, SA adds an additional header that reads X-Spam: Yes and also adds ***SPAM*** to the subject line of the message. This is where Procmail comes in. I have Procmail configured on my account to automatically move any messages with X-Spam: Yes to my Junk folder and out of my inbox. I have found some false positives, specifically my logwatch notices from Siona, which can sometimes go above 4.0 so SA is configured to still deliver messages to the user.
Above 6.0, however, I have seen no false-positives so SA is configured to reject these messages. Above 10.0, SA will not even bother sending a delivery status notification (DSN) to the source of the email on the assumption that the source email address is spoofed and the sending mail server is just a zombie host.
This has been working out very well. My guess is that 90% of spam is scored over 6.0 and is outright discarded. Of the remaining 10% of spam, I would guess 80-90% of that is scored above 4.0 and is getting tagged as spam but delivered. A very small number of legit messages are scored between 4.0 and 6.0 (less then 1%), and no legit messages are scored above 6.0. All in all, this leaves a couple percent of the spam messages that are delivered to the users.
This squad of applications works quite well together for fighting spam. I only have a couple of problems. The setup is a bit confusing out of the gate, but definitely doable and there was a lot of tutorials Online for this setup. And the other problem is that we should not be seeing this much spam anyhow. Mail servers should be authenticating users that wish to relay and message authenticity should be verifiable. If Joe Smith at example.com gets a message from my domain, the example.com mail server should be able to verify that someone at this domain actually sent the message. As it is, it is trivial to forge a source email address, and SPF is not the solution. We need something universal, unlike SenderID, or else what's the point? The closest is the domain signing that Yahoo (?) came up with (which Google actually uses for their mail service), but it is still not universal. Someday, we will leave with not much spam, some day...
Friday, 25 August 2006
The Fight Against Spam
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
For anyone who's had to cleanup some mail problems with Postfix configuration (or more often with other things, like anti-spam, tied in ...
In the course of troubleshooting the office Jabber server the other day, I came across some interesting info about the various caches that O...
For everyone who uses cron, you are familiar with the job schedule form: min hr day-of-month month day-of-week <command> A problem...
Post a Comment